In my blog ‘What is Delegation?’ I explained that some managers don’t delegate because they don’t see the value.
Some managers tell me they do see the value but they don’t delegate tasks as often as they’d like because they just don’t know where to start. Good point. I’d recommend focusing on identifying three things:
- What you could delegate
- Who you could delegate to
- How much of a task you could delegate
Let’s focus in this article on the ‘what’ – step one of the delegation process
HOW TO DELEGATE STEP ONE – IDENTIFY THE TASKS
The first step in how to delegate is to identify the tasks that would be suitable for delegation. Try this exercise:
- Make a list of all the tasks you currently perform
- Delete from the list the tasks you must do yourself
These may be tasks which:
- Are a requirement of your job which no one else can do
- You are ‘legally’ responsible for carrying out
- Only you have the expertise and experience for and it would be impossible or impractical to help your employee’s to gain that expertise and experience.
- The tasks that have not been deleted from the list are those that you potentially could delegate totally or partially
- Ask this crucial question:
Which of these tasks, if delegated, will free up the most time, so that I can concentrate on those tasks only I can do?
HOW TO DELEGATE SUMMARY
It’s quite a shock for some of the managers I work with to see how much of what they currently do could (in theory at least) be undertaken by their staff. Of course you do need the right staff (read more here) and you do need the time but even if this exercise only helps you identify one or two tasks you can delegate, at least you’ve got started!
Would you like to learn – In just 10 minutes! – some new strategies for how to delegate?
‘I would recommend this book to all new managers who want to learn how to delegate and experienced managers who want a quick refresher’ (Nora K)
This book is for managers who want a proven step-by-step guide to effective delegation – and who only have 10 minutes to read it! Check it out on Amazon HERE