There is always a ‘practical’ element to preparing for a performance review or appraisal meeting, and it’s surprising how easy it is to make a mess of this part of the prep. For example have you ever had meeting in a crowded, noisy bar? (I have!) Or have you ever been told that your performance review or appraisal meeting is scheduled for tomorrow morning, whether you like it or not? I’m sure you get the picture
So, here are my 10 quick management tips for preparing the ‘practical’ part of a performance review or appraisal meeting
Performance Review / Appraisal Tips: Preparing the Practical
1. Book time in your diary for preparation
2. Encourage your employee to book time in their diary for preparation and help your employee prepare for the meeting (read more on how to help your employee prepare for performance appraisal here)
3. Consult with your employee about the meeting date – don’t impose
4. Plan two hours into your diaries for the meeting
6. No interruptions
9. Ensure you have all the forms you need
10. Make sure you know how to complete the forms!
OK, so there’s nothing here that’s particularly mind-blowing. BUT if you don’t prepare well for the performance review or appraisal meeting, what does that say to your employee about how much you value the meeting? And how much you value them?
Would you like a step-by-step guide – that you can read in just 10 minutes – on how to run motivational performance appraisal or review meetings?
This guide was easy to read, well structured and easy to follow… I particularly liked: the emphasis on motivation; the inclusion of job satisfaction ( not something I had come across as a specific appraisal topic before); the approach of drawing in the staff member to the whole process ( making them prepare and getting them to give their views first); the idea of sharing performance feedback and that the manager should be prepared to change their mind on whether objectives have been met in the light of information given by the member of staff.
You can check it out on Amazon (and try a sample) HERE