Do the managers in your business understand how effective management by objectives is as a management tool for improving staff performance and job satisfaction? Do they know that research shows us that:
1. When staff members have clear objectives with effective measures their performance improves by over 30%
2. Team members who know what’s expected of them are found to be both more productive and profitable with higher satisfaction ratings than those who don’t
3. Employees who reported feeling lack of any real commitment to their job gave the main reason for this as not knowing what was expected of them?
Do managers see why performance objectives are the easiest way to help their staff understand what is expected of them?
Management by objectives improves performance… of the staff and of the business. Not only that, it also improves staff motivation and job satisfaction
And there’s more…
Management by Objectives: The benefits to the manager
Management by objectives is an incredibly effective management tool for managers because
• Getting clearer on what the manager wants from their staff, means they get more of what they need from their staff. Managers often make the mistake of assuming that their staff employees know what’s expected of them. Perhaps they should… but they often just don’t
• Staff will struggle to give their manager what they want if they are unclear about the manager’s expectations. This causes so much frustration in the workplace, time and again we hear unhappy staff say, “I just want to know what my boss wants from me. Why doesn’t he/she just tell me?”
• By agreeing performance objectives with staff members the manager is putting the foundation stones in place to ensure effective staff management. Without management by objectives managers will struggle to give their staff the feedback they want and need (and tell us they want a lot more of)
Management by Objectives: Do the managers in your business need help?
In my video ‘Motivating Your Staff with Powerful Performance Objectives’ I teach managers how to write objectives, how to communicate those objectives and how to gain their staff’s commitment to achieving those objectives. Take a look at the video details and find out how to watch a preview session from the video HERE